In search of winter highway journey concepts in Europe? Unsure the place you possibly can head to take pleasure in protected driving, and unbelievable surroundings? We’ve bought you lined!
Don’t overlook to obtain your FREE Europe highway journey guidelines under.
*We work exhausting to make this the very best motorhome weblog and highway journey web site doable, stuffed with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so in the event you purchase by hyperlinks on this website we could earn a commission- at no further value to you. All opinions stay our personal.
In the event you discover this submit helpful, you too can deal with us to a espresso on the backside of this page- we promise to take pleasure in it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we’d even bask in a biscuit (or two!)
Finest Winter Highway Journeys in Europe
Winter highway journeys in Europe may be tough. Relying on the place you reside (or the place you’re beginning the highway journey from, getting there may be robust! Many mountain passes are closed and lots of large vacationer cities shut for the winter
Nevertheless, don’t despair. There are nonetheless some unbelievable locations to go to throughout Europe throughout winter. In the event you’re getting in November and December, you can take pleasure in a number of the greatest and largest Christmas Markets in Europe.
In the event you’re going from January- March you can select between discovering winter sunshine, or going to take pleasure in some cities and cities in Europe that are EVEN BETTER in winter!
Intrigued? Learn on…
Ideas for planning your Europe Winter Highway Journey
Earlier than you set off, whether or not you’re travelling by automobile, motorhome, campervan or motorcycle (!), there are some issues you must do to organize your car.
Firstly, be sure to know all of the equipment you MUST have in your car whereas touring Europe. Get your free guidelines right here:
Wish to head to Europe along with your motorhome?
Seize your FREE (printable) guidelines and uncover 25 stuff you NEED to take with you while you journey in Europe. Make your life simpler immediately.
Be sure to have winter tyres fitted. These are necessary in lots of international locations in Europe between October- March, and in international locations like France in mountainous areas. You may additionally want to hold snow chains.
Plan your itinerary rigorously. Days are shorter in winter, that means you possibly can’t journey as far. Roads can be extra treacherous at night time when it will get colder, so attempt to keep away from driving at night time the place doable.
You’ll additionally need to permit further time between stops, whether or not you’re touring Europe in a motorhome and utilizing campsites/ aires, or staying in accommodations/ B& Bs. If the climate is dangerous, you’ll drive extra slowly, so it is going to take longer to get between locations. Including an additional 20-30% is an effective rule of thumb.
Begin your day later. Chilly temperatures in a single day can depart many roads slippery within the morning, even when they’ve been gritted. Wait till mid-morning to begin your travels so the roads have had an opportunity to heat up slightly.
Epic locations to go to on a winter highway journey in Europe for snowy scenes
Listed below are a few of our favorite European winter highway journey itinerary concepts:
- Begin level/ metropolis: Bergen
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Flåm
- Route: Numerous
Western Norway’s fjords are a terrific winter highway journey for snow-savvy drivers. Within the winter, few folks go to the fjords, making it a incredible time to view the sights AND take unbelievable photographs.
Bergen, Norway’s second-largest metropolis, is a good winter base. There’s a lot occurring and, in the event you go to in December, you possibly can see Pepperkakebyen, the world’s largest gingerbread hamlet!
Some epic winter highway journey concepts from Bergen
- One of many prettiest routes is to Flåm. You might experience the Flåm railway and go to Aurlandsfjord.
- You might additionally drive to Voss, among the finest locations for journey sports activities, Gudvangen (dwelling of Viking Valley), and the Stegastein viewpoint.
- Don’t miss the various waterfalls across the area- they’re breathtaking.
Don’t overlook, whether or not you’re driving a automobile or motorhoming in Norway, you will need to have winter tyres, and drive along with your headlights on all day.
Bear in mind the times are a lot shorter so that you received’t be capable to journey to this point.
Romantic Highway, Germany
- Begin level/ metropolis: Würzburg
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Füssen
- Route: Autobahn B3
- Distance (miles and km): 460km / 290miles
- Time to drive: 3-10 days
The Romantic Highway is among the most well-known highway journeys in Germany. Your complete route is round 290 miles (460km) by Bavaria in South Germany, beginning in Würzburg (within the north) and ending in Füssen (within the south, close to the Austrian Border and the fairytale fortress of Neuschwanstein!)
Though this route is phenomenal at any time of the yr, driving it in winter is further particular. The surroundings is spectacular and the cities look much more like they’ve simply sprung from a fairytale.
Winter Highway Journey itinerary thought
- Begin your winter highway journey within the conventional wine metropolis of Würzburg.
- Don’t miss the spectacular Christmas city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, or the historic cities of Feuchtwangen, Nördlingen or Augsburg (apparently the the oldest metropolis in Germany!)
- Many many castles and historic sights, together with Harburg and Hohenschwangau. In the event you’re motorhoming in Germany, there are close by aires that are incredible.
- Detour into the Black Forest and go to Triberg, dwelling of the world’s largest (and smallest!) cuckoo clocks!)
- The ultimate cease is Füssen, stuffed with fantastically painted buildings and the closest city to the long-lasting Neuschwanstein Fort.
Southern Ring Highway, Iceland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Reykjavik
- Route: Varies relying on the climate
One of the crucial breathtaking winter highway journeys in Europe is in Iceland.
In the event you go to between November to March, you’ll discover frozen waterfalls, unbelievable snow-covered vistas and, in the event you’re fortunate, it’s one of many greatest locations in Europe to see the elusive Northern Lights.
My husband and I had been fortunate sufficient to go to Iceland in winter and by far the very best bit was having a car appropriate for driving round. If you’re hiring a car, ensure it has winter tyres fitted and carry a ‘just-in-case’ pack of blankets, sizzling drinks and meals.
In the event you’re taking your individual car, be sure to have correct winter tyres fitted. Additionally, though the Ring Highway doesn’t technically shut throughout winter, the northern half can change into treacherous in dangerous climate, so maintain an in depth eye on the forecast and you could want to stick with the southern half.
In the event you’re planning to camp, remember that many campsites shut throughout winter, so it may be tough to search out locations with electrical energy and recent water.
Highlights and itinerary concepts for an Iceland winter highway journey
- Spend a day exploring Reykjavik- there’s quite a lot of historical past to see right here.
- Plan to spend a day or two round Vik. Right here, you’ll discover the Black Sand Seaside at Reynisfjara, the deserted DC3 aircraft wreck, and Yoda cave.
- In the event you proceed in the direction of Hofn, you’ll discover the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and Diamond Seaside, Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon, and Vatnajökull Nationwide Park.
- Don’t miss any of the unbelievable waterfalls alongside the route. Relying on the climate and when in winter you go, many will probably be frozen, which makes for spectacular photographs!
Switzerland winter highway journey concepts
- Begin level/ metropolis: Basel
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Lugano
- Route: #2
- Distance: 270km
For an unforgettable winter highway journey with breathtaking surroundings, plan a drive between the attractive cities of Basel and Lugano in Switzerland.
In the event you’re assured driving in snow and wintery circumstances, you possibly can take backroads to take pleasure in the very best of the views and go to some native villages. You’ll additionally go over some spectacular mountains, so ensure your tyres are good and cease steadily to let your brakes cool.
NOTE: Be sure to have winter tyres fitted and pack an emergency equipment with meals and heat garments. In the event you’re motorhoming in Switzerland, be sure to have your tank heaters on too.
Winter highway journey itinerary thought
- Begin in Basel, a metropolis which is price exploring for a day or two when you have time.
- Then head out in the direction of Lucerne. Virtually each nook of this highway makes you go ‘wow’ and there are many viewpoints to cease at and seize the views.
- In the event you’re early sufficient, you would possibly be capable to drive the spectacular Furka Cross- among the finest highway journeys in Switzerland.
- You may additionally need to detour West to Valais and the Matterhorn- the views are unbelievable.
- Head south to Lugano. There could not at all times be snow right here, however it at all times has a splendidly heat ambiance and lots to take pleasure in.
Edinburgh to Inverness, Scotland
- Begin level/ metropolis: Edinburgh
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Inverness
- Route: Edinburgh- A84- A82 to Glencoe, Fort William and Invernesss
- Distance (miles and km): 253.88 km
- Finest time to go to: New Yr/ Hogmanay
One of many greatest winter highway journeys within the UK is a round route from Edinburgh as much as Inverness, by way of Glencoe and Loch Ness.
Positively spend a number of days exploring Edinburgh both earlier than or after your winter highway trip- this metropolis is fabulous and there’s a lot to see. Don’t miss Edinburgh Fort, the Royal Mile or climbing Arthur’s Seat for a spectacular perspective of town.
When you’re prepared, set out in your highway journey, driving by Loch Lomond and as much as Glencoe. The views listed here are SPECTACULAR- undoubtedly one of many most scenic highway journeys in Scotland. The route begins because the A84 however flip onto the A82 in the direction of Fort William.
After travelling for 3 to 4 hours, you’ll arrive at Fort William and be capable to see Ben Nevis, Britain’s tallest peak, within the distance.
Take the A-82 alongside Loch Ness to Inverness. Enable round three hours for this section- there are many locations to cease for photographs or making an attempt to identify Nessie.
From Inverness, you possibly can both return to Edinburgh by way of the A9, or keep on north and sort out the well-known North Coast 500!
Wild Atlantic Means
- Begin level/ metropolis: Malin Head, Donegal
- Endpoint/ metropolis: Mizen Head, County Cork
- Route: Wild Atlantic Means
- Distance (miles and km): 1600 miles (2600 km)
- Finest time of yr to drive or particular competition/ occasion: March- St Patrick’s Day
The Wild Atlantic Means is among the longest coastal driving roads within the world- and one of the well-known! The shoreline is wild, rugged and breathtakingly lovely.
It runs from Malin Head in County Donegal to Mizen Head in County Cork. Normally, the route is packed by anybody eager to go roadtripping or campervanning in Eire, however in winter, it’s MUCH quieter.
How lengthy does it take to drive the Wild Atlantic Means?
One of the best a part of this route is you can select to do as a lot or as little as you would like. If you wish to do the whole route with out dashing, I like to recommend 1-2 weeks minimal. Don’t overlook, there’s a lot to see off the primary route which you received’t need to miss and you’ll mix it with a number of of Eire’s different well-known highway journey routes.
Highlights of a Wild Atlantic Means highway journey
A number of the highlights of a Wild Atlantic Means highway journey embrace:
- Mizen Head (one of many areas the place the most recent Star Wars film was shot)
- the windswept isle of Skellig Michael,
- Achill Island (Eire’s largest island and an epic kitesurfing vacation spot)
- Galway Metropolis
- Cliffs of Moher
- Bantry Bay
- Malin Head
In fact, there are PLENTY of different locations you possibly can go to in Europe throughout winter. Locations like Spain and Portugal are at all times well-liked, as are additional away locations like Croatia and Greece. However I hope these helped provide you with slightly inspiration to get the ball rolling.
Different posts you would possibly discover helpful: