Some posts on this website comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Should you e-book or purchase one thing by way of these hyperlinks, I earn a small fee (at no further value to you). Check out my privateness coverage for extra data.
A couple of ideas that can assist you keep away from altitude illness whilst you’re travelling in Peru – and the remainder of South America.
Most of the hottest locations in Peru are at pretty excessive altitudes within the Andes mountain vary – like Cusco and Machu Picchu.
As well as, there are various trekking routes all through South America which contain mountains or volcanoes that will even take you hundreds of ft above sea stage.
Visiting excessive altitudes could trigger altitude illness, which might have an effect on anybody not used to greater elevations. Should you’re travelling to Peru or planning a mountain trek within the Andes, it’s a good suggestion to organize for altitude illness…
What’s Altitude Illness?
Altitude illness happens when your physique doesn’t get sufficient oxygen from the air at excessive altitudes. It normally happens at 2,500m above sea stage or greater, however it might have an effect on individuals in another way.
Signs embrace complications, lack of urge for food, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, insomnia and never sleeping nicely, and exhaustion or weak point.
In my expertise in Cusco, individuals have been most affected by the ultimate symptom. I had little or no power whereas I used to be at altitude, and located easy issues like strolling upstairs or mild hills extremely draining.
Curiously, your age, intercourse, and health ranges don’t have anything to do with whether or not or not you’ll get altitude illness. Some individuals are fully unaffected, others are hit tremendous arduous. So it’s a good suggestion to be ready should you’re not used to excessive altitudes.
Altitudes in Peru: Locations The place Illness Could be a Downside
In keeping with the NHS, signs of altitude illness normally develop between 6 and 24 hours after reaching altitudes greater than 2,500m above sea stage.
In Peru, a few of the hottest locations are discovered at these altitudes:
- Cusco – 3,400m (11,200ft) above sea stage
- Machu Picchu – 2,430m (7,972 ft)
- Inca Trek – the very best level on the path is 4200m (13,776 ft)
- Arequipa – 2,335m (7,660ft)
- Colca Canyon – the trekking route from Arequipa to Colca Canyon reaches altitudes of 4,870 m (15,685 ft) at Mirador de los Andes.
- Lake Titicaca – 3,812m (12,507ft)
- Huaraz – 3,052m (10,013ft)
Learn how to Put together for Altitude Illness in Peru
There’s no approach of understanding how badly you’ll be affected, and specialists say it has nothing to do along with your health stage. However, it’s protected to imagine that whenever you hit a metropolis like Cusco at 11,152ft above sea stage, you’ll be affected in a minimum of a small approach.
Fortunately, there are some issues you are able to do to put together for altitude illness.
Learn how to Keep away from Altitude Illness in Peru…
Permit time to acclimatise at an intermediate altitude earlier than going to the upper cities – it will likely be value it to keep away from shedding a couple of days to illness whenever you arrive at your final vacation spot.
Should you can, journey overland to Cusco (or whichever metropolis you’re headed to) and spend a few nights someplace halfway. Should you’re backpacking, I extremely suggest taking the Peru Hop bus from Lima to Cusco. It’s a very enjoyable expertise and a good way to satisfy different travellers. Learn my assessment of the Peru Hop expertise for more information.
Earlier than arriving at altitude, you must also drink loads of water and eat a number of carbs, to organize your physique with loads of power.
Suggestions for Dealing With Altitude Illness in Peru & South America
When you arrive at your closing vacation spot, spend a couple of days taking issues simple whilst you end acclimatising. Listed here are my high ideas for coping with altitude illness in Peru – and anyplace else chances are you’ll go to within the Andes.
Be aware: I’m not a medical skilled, however this recommendation is backed up by the NHS and my very own experiences, and none of it’ll endanger you.
- Take it simple. Stroll slowly and keep away from train.
- Take deep breaths.
- Keep away from alcohol. For a minimum of the primary few days, anyway!
- Don’t smoke, take medication, or use sleeping drugs.
- Keep hydrated.
- Keep away from large meals and heavy meals at evening. Digestion happens at a a lot slower price at altitude, so go for small parts, and eat your greatest meal of the day at lunch as an alternative of dinner. Your intestine will thanks.
- Drink coca tea. Yep, tea produced from the identical coca leaves that make cocaine. There’s a stimulant in them (non-dangerous) which supplies you an power enhance and genuinely alleviates the signs of altitude illness.
- Eat extra sugar! The NHS recommends consuming extra energy while at altitude, and sugar is a pleasant, fast approach to do this. I additionally discovered that sweets and sugary drinks gave a pleasant power enhance and made me really feel significantly better for a couple of hours.
Altitude Illness in Peru
Whereas altitude illness could be fairly disagreeable, it gained’t final endlessly. And there are a number of issues you are able to do to assist fight it!
No matter you do, don’t let it put you off travelling within the Andes whilst you’re in Peru. The Andean landscapes are among the many most lovely on the planet. Hopefully, you gained’t be affected all that badly by altitude illness.
Be aware – extreme altitude illness is a medical emergency. In case your signs worsen, or don’t enhance after a couple of days, it is best to descend to a decrease altitude and/or search medical assist.
So, there you have got it: a couple of easy recommendations on keep away from and deal with altitude illness in Peru. When you have a query – or a tip of your individual – scroll down to go away a remark!