Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, positioned within the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was once a sleepy seaside city that attracted hippie varieties who most well-liked the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the final decade or so, although, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-chic digital nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whereas I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m not an enormous fan of Tulum as of late.
However that’s simply me. A whole lot of 1000’s of individuals go to every year and love their time there. Journey is subjective, in spite of everything.
Dwelling to a number of the best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is certainly a beautiful slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum protected?
That will depend on who you ask.
The Abroad Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “reasonably protected” — although there was not less than one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this yr, and two ladies had been killed by gang crossfire whereas eating at a restaurant in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the info from the US State Division says to “train elevated warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the report stated, “Don’t journey to”).
That stated, I’ve visited Tulum a number of occasions now — and have road-tripped across the area — and by no means felt unsafe. Positive, that you must hold your wits about you and hold an eye fixed out for petty theft, however that’s what it’s best to do wherever you journey.
That will help you perceive extra concerning the metropolis and determine for those who really feel snug visiting, right here is every thing that you must know to remain protected in Tulum.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Vacationers?
Usually, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ curiosity to make an effort to maintain tourist-heavy locations like Tulum protected. If vacationers begin getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will cease coming, native companies will endure, and, consequently, there would then most likely be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
If you happen to train some warning, as it’s best to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll probably keep away from any severe points.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is usually protected for solo feminine vacationers. That stated, feminine vacationers have extra considerations and will train much more warning. Don’t stroll alone at evening, for instance, whereas in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody until you noticed it being poured or made. And all the time keep watch over your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Protected?
Taxi drivers have a fairly dangerous popularity irrespective of the place you might be on the earth. I’m glad to report that that popularity doesn’t prolong to this seaside city. Simply make sure you agree on a worth earlier than you depart.
Taxis are plentiful in Tulum so normally you shouldn’t have an issue discovering one. If unsure, although, have your resort or hostel name one for you so that you might be certain you get a good driver.
Is Renting a Automobile in Tulum Protected?
There are some rental automobile scams that vacationers ought to pay attention to — not simply in Tulum however wherever in Mexico. It’s fairly frequent, for instance, to lease a automobile on-line after which present up on the workplace solely to be informed that they don’t have any vehicles in the mean time.
The opposite subject is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re solely informed about on the final minute, so remember while you e-book that you just may get the deal that you just suppose you’re getting.
Other than these points, it’s protected to lease a automobile in Tulum.
To search out one of the best rental automobile offers, use Uncover Automobiles.
Is There an Challenge with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has elevated in Tulum, and nearly all of it’s drug-related gang exercise. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have elevated by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is largely gang-on-gang violence and never geared toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medicine whereas in Mexico on the whole, and Tulum specifically. You’re simply inviting hazard.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water throughout Mexico — not simply in Tulum — is infamous for not being as clear because it may very well be. That goes for ice cubes too. Discover out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can typically be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks may be refreshing, however it will be even worse to be caught in your resort room with abdomen points since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was contaminated with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t essentially the most eco-friendly factor, however when in Tulum, keep on with it, simply to be protected. You too can carry a LifeStraw bottle, which has a built-in filter to make sure that your water is all the time clear and protected to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Night time in Tulum?
It’s not beneficial — particularly for those who’re alone. Making issues extra sophisticated, the seaside accommodations and the middle of city aren’t essentially a fast jaunt from one another on foot, so it’s best to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are ample in Tulum.
So, until it’s an excellent brief distance, don’t stroll at evening in Tulum.
10 Security Suggestions for Tulum
Tulum is likely one of the extra reliably protected spots in Mexico. That stated, it’s best to nonetheless train warning, significantly while you depart the closely touristed areas of city. Listed here are some issues to remember:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at evening, keep very alert and aware of your environment. Do your greatest to slot in.
2. Preserve your cellphone out of the attain of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so hold your cellphone out of the attain of others always. If you happen to stroll round swinging your smartphone in all places, you may discover that merchandise instantly lacking.
3. Preserve your valuables at dwelling – Equally, if in case you have plenty of good jewellery and/or an costly watch, hold it at dwelling or within the resort room protected. You don’t wish to appeal to the flawed sort of consideration.
4. Be cautious at evening for those who’re touring alone – Tulum isn’t essentially the most harmful place at evening, however in some locations, it’s not as nicely lit correctly. Don’t stroll round alone late at evening for those who can keep away from it — particularly between the middle of city and the beachfront resort zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – If you happen to don’t have worldwide roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply ensure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Study some Spanish – Uttering a number of phrases of the native language is all the time a superb factor. It might open doorways and assist you slot in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be aware of your cash – Don’t carry each peso you may have in your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some in your pockets, some within the resort protected, some in your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you’ll nonetheless have cash secured elsewhere.
8. Obtain the Prey app to your cellphone and laptop computer – In case your cellphone or your laptop computer will get stolen, the Prey app means that you can observe the place it’s. You’ll be able to set up the app at no cost after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if that you must observe your stolen system. Prey may activate your cellphone’s digicam and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when utilizing ATMs – Solely use ATMs inside a financial institution. Not solely can skimmers be positioned on outside ATMs (to steal your PIN), however robberies are rather more frequent at them. To remain protected, solely use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whereas the seashores in Tulum are gorgeous, the riptides might be harmful. By no means stray too removed from shore, simply to be protected. If you happen to’re not a powerful swimmer, keep on with the pool.
So, Ought to You Go to Tulum?
By way of security, sure. As I stated above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous couple of years, however for those who’re not looking for out medicine — and you actually shouldn’t be — then probably you’ll keep away from experiencing any such points.
My Most Vital Recommendation
Purchase journey insurance coverage. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to go flawed on journeys. But it surely does typically — which I’ve realized from expertise. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my gear break in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whereas it’s not enjoyable to consider, dangerous issues can occur whilst you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means depart dwelling with out journey insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly for those who’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few bucks a day, you’ll get a security internet that ensures that you just gained’t go bankrupt ought to one thing dangerous and surprising occur.
Don’t low-cost out in your well being and security. It’s not well worth the threat.
Tulum has rapidly turn out to be the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting all sorts of people that gravitate right here for its gorgeous white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the properly preserved Mayan ruins.
Whereas it’s a usually protected place for vacationers, it’s best to all the time be alert and train warning whilst you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll be capable of have a enjoyable — and protected — go to.
Ebook Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Tips
Ebook Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight by utilizing Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You’ll be able to e-book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Reserving.com because it persistently returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and accommodations.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you in opposition to sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes flawed. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many occasions prior to now. My favourite corporations that provide one of the best service and worth are:
Wish to journey at no cost?
Journey bank cards can help you earn factors that may be redeemed at no cost flights and lodging. They’re what hold me touring a lot for therefore little. Try my information to choosing the right card and my present favorites to get began and see the most recent greatest offers.
Able to Ebook Your Journey?
Try my useful resource web page for one of the best corporations to make use of while you journey. I checklist all those I take advantage of after I journey. They’re one of the best in school and you’ll’t go flawed utilizing them in your journey.