On this highway journey information to Lake Havasu Metropolis, Arizona I’ll present route highlights from Phoenix and Las Vegas relying on which course you might be touring. I additionally present a lists of among the high actions, occasions and even a few of my favourite eating places. I’ve additionally embedded many hyperlinks and some movies to assist along with your journey planning.
Temporary Historical past on Lake Havasu Metropolis and the London Bridge
A typical query folks get mistaken when enjoying Trivial Pursuit is town location of the long-lasting London Bridge. The unique London Bridge that was inbuilt London, England in 1825-1831 and was the truth is moved to Lake Havasu Metropolis, Arizona in 1967-1971.
Lake Havasu Metropolis was created by a person named Robert P. McCulloch, who flew over the realm within the early Nineteen Sixties in the hunt for a spot to check his outboard boat motors. If he had flown over simply 30 years earlier, he would have deemed the realm unfit for motor testing, because the lake had not but been shaped. It was the development of Parker Dam within the late Thirties that created Lake Havasu.
After buying land and establishing store, Mr. McCulloch figured the realm would make a pleasant place for folks to dwell, however as a way to appeal to people to the realm, he wanted an attraction. There was an article within the paper speaking about how the Metropolis of London was promoting its famed London Bridge because it wanted main repairs. Mr. McCulloch learn the story and thought the bridge would make an ideal vacationer attraction to attract folks to Lake Havasu. The bridge had been dismantled in London, shipped and reassembled in Lake Havasu. A monumental endeavor to say the least.
On the time, the bridge was constructed on dry land and went over a shallow ravine. As soon as the bridge was assembled, the ravine was dredged, permitting lake water to stream by means of, thus creating an island. This island is house to a number of motels, tenting websites and a municipal golf course the place the location of the annual balloon pageant is hosted.
Mr. McCulloch was concerned in various companies and was extremely profitable, however one factor he appeared to know one thing about was constructing and attracting folks to locations. Along with Lake Havasu Metropolis, Mr. McCulloch can be answerable for constructing the world’s tallest fountain in Fountain Hills, Arizona.
Lake Havasu Metropolis Highway Journey from Phoenix
- 190 miles
- 3:15 hour drive
- Relying on what a part of Phoenix you might be leaving from, you’d take both I-10 West to 72 to 95. Or, 60 by means of Wickenburg.
Most individuals will probably take US 60 by means of Wickenburg, which is what I did.
Lake Havasu Highway Journey Stops from Phoenix
- Wickenburg is a real western city, the place the spurs have a job to do and hats are usually not equipment. The city is filled with character, the place spirits stay wild and the souls are Western by means of and thru. In case you conjure photos of the west, usually what emerges within the thoughts’s eye are horses, open area, clear air and cowboys. With fewer and fewer areas to take pleasure in a real western expertise, there’s one place that has flourished for properly over a century and that’s Wickenburg.
- As you proceed West on US60, you’ll run throughout a couple of small cities akin to Salome, Aguila and Hope. As you previous Hope, you’ll see a humorous signal that claims “You’re now past Hope,” which could be a great place to take a humorous selfie.
- At Hope you’ll head north on 72, which turns into 95.
- Up till this level the panorama is a bit boring, however that begins to vary when you get near Parker.
- Parker has some stunning panorama and many entry to the Colorado River. Its dam, which created Lake Havasu, can be value pursuing.
- Simply previous Parker is the Invoice Williams River Nationwide Wildlife Refuge. It is a pretty place to interrupt out the climbing boots, fishing pole or kayak. There are greater than 6000 acres to discover with a whole lot of fowl species in addition to reptiles, butterflies, mammals and different indigenous wildlife.
- When you have a 4×4 and also you’re touring on the weekend, remember to try Nellie E Saloon, AKA “The Desert Bar. It is a enjoyable and eclectic ghost city of kinds for dwell music, art work and a few fundamental grub and drink. Take a look at the video from my pals Jason & Nikki.
The place to Play in Havasu
Lake Havasu Metropolis is a mecca for out of doors fans! In the summertime, it’s all about boating and lake recreation. Nestled deep within the Mojave Desert, this oasis attracts skiers, wakeboarders, jet skiers, hydrofoilists, kayakers and just about another water sport you possibly can consider. There are a lot of locations to camp and put your boat within the water, together with a number of Arizona state parks.
In fact, the focus in Lake Havasu is the London Bridge. Under the bridge are all types of outlets, eating places and tour operators. Strolling throughout the bridge is a should as you may get some stupendous views in each instructions, and, you possibly can pursue much more retailers and eating places on the opposite facet.
Within the milder months of the yr, off-roading is a big draw. No matter you have got, 4×4 truck/SUV, grime bike, sand rail, ATV or UTV, you’ll have a blast in Lake Havasu. In case you don’t have an off-road unit, you possibly can hire one from a number of outfitters. You may discover the realm at your tempo, do some rock crawling, or go full-bore and really feel the joys of the off-road trails. Arizona climate within the fall by means of spring is right for off-roading this space.
- Parks – A number of native and state parks with seashore entry.
- The Aquatic Heart is ideal to chill off in the summertime months.
- Imagine it or not, there are a lot of lighthouses round Lake Havasu, 28 the truth is. There are over 400 miles of shoreline and these lighthouses assist boaters at evening to keep away from sandbars and jetties.
- Stargazing – With so many clear nights a yr, with actually darkish skies, Lake Havasu is a superb place for stargazing.
- Disc Golf on Grand Island.
- Boat Cruises – A number of choices obtainable to get out on the lake should you don’t have your individual boat.
- Sizzling Air Ballooning – Even should you don’t attend the annual Havasu Balloon Pageant, you possibly can nonetheless go up in a single throughout the season.
- Strolling trails – There are miles of strolling trails, many proper alongside the lake which are value strolling.
- Fishing is one other large attraction at Lake Havasu.
- Golf – There are a few golf programs on the town, I might simply keep away from enjoying within the warmth of the summer time.
- Mountaineering – An area favourite is Crack within the Wall in SARA Park. This five-mile loop takes you alongside a sandy wash by means of a phenomenal slot canyon, then right down to the lake for views of lovely rock formations.
- Mountain Biking – SARA Park as talked about above can be an ideal place for Mt. Biking.
- Culinary Scene – I’ve solely been to some of the over 140 eating places on the town, so should you uncover one you’d suggest, however positive to go away a remark under. My favorites are listed under.
Prime Occasions in Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu Metropolis has many note-worthy occasions all year long, right here is only a pattern:
The place to remain in Lake Havasu Metropolis
There are lots of lodging choices in Lake Havasu, however there is just one place on the base of the London Bridge that places you inside strolling distance to the all of the motion, and that’s the unique London Bridge Resort. This lodge is essentially the most centrally situated in Lake Havasu with unobstructed views of the lake and its well-known bridge. The rooms include full kitchens, which is so helpful for these prolonged stays. The third ground lodging have spiral staircases resulting in a rooftop deck with unbelievable views of the London Bridge. That is the very best spot on the town to view among the native actions such because the annual scorching air balloon pageant, the pageant of lights and the 12-Days of Christmas.
Locations to Eat in Havasu
A few of my favourite locations to dine in Lake Havasu embody:
- Cha-Bones – Some of the gastronomic eating places in Lake Havasu! They’ve a unbelievable tapas and steak choice with recent seafood introduced in every day. Great environment with some cool water options on the entrance. A stunning bar as the focus serving up some inspiring cocktails.
- Crimson Onion – The delicacies can most likely be greatest described as refined consolation bar meals, offered in a stunning environment with a wall of home windows that confide in the outside.
- Barley Brothers -Intensive consolation meals and beer menu, vigorous environment on the northwestern facet of the London Bridge. Nice joyful hour and views of the Bridge.
- Mudshark Public Home – In case you take pleasure in craft beer, don’t miss this native brewery. Throughout the winter months they’ve an impressive collection of darkish beers with evocative taste profiles. In addition they serve up some tasty pub meals, from pizzas, salads to starters and sandwiches. Oh, and the view from the patio is an impressive spot to observe the sundown.
Lake Havasu Metropolis Highway Journey from Las Vegas
- 150 miles
- 2:30 hour drive
- I-515 to 95 south
Lake Havasu Highway Journey Stops coming from Las Vegas
The drive from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu is fairly uneventful, however it’s a simple one down NV/CA-95 (with a brief length on I-40). If you wish to make a little bit of a highway journey out of it, take 163 by means of Laughlin and head to Oatman. It will add about 40 minutes and 30 miles to your journey, nevertheless it’s properly value it.
Nestled in Arizona’s rugged and distant wilderness, this tiny city has a wealthy historical past that comes alive with staged shootouts, wood boardwalks and a bounty of burros that freely roam the streets. Oatman is greatest recognized for its beloved burros. Enjoyable details…the city is house to extra burros than folks!
If you depart Oatman, you’ll journey down a stretch of the historic Route 66. This well-known highway was the principle freeway that traversed the US from the Nineteen Twenties by means of the ‘50s. You’ll keep on this windy scenic route till you attain I-40, which you’ll journey for a couple of miles earlier than getting onto AZ-95, which is able to take you proper into Lake Havasu Metropolis.
Mohave County, Arizona House Base
Lake Havasu Metropolis is a perfect place to name your own home base whereas exploring Mohave County, Arizona. There are such a lot of excellent close by highway journeys. I’ve talked about a couple of en path to Lake Havasu from the south and the north, however listed here are a couple of extra recommendations:
- Blythe Intaglios – 70 miles south of Lake Havasu you possibly can see considered one of over 300 intaglios within the American Southwest and areas of Mexico. The Blythe Intaglios are a gaggle of large figures discovered within the desert close to Blythe, California
- Diamond Creek Highway to the Colorado River – Situated off Route 66 in Peach Springs, Diamond Creek Highway is an adventurous highway to the Colorado River. You’ll truly be driving down into the Grand Canyon to the Colorado River.
- Grand Canyon Caverns – This pure surprise was created over thousands and thousands of years and is the most important dry cavern within the U.S. The air within the caverns is a constant 56° year-round because of zero humidity and is drawn in from the Grand Canyon by means of 60 miles of limestone caves and crevasses.
- The Hualapai Mountains is a superb escape from the desert local weather. with elevations of 6300 ft to 8240 ft, you’ll expertise the scent of pine timber, recent mountain air, and snow within the winter.
- Topock Maze – Lower than 45 minutes north of Lake Havasu lies a really particular remnant of American Indian heritage within the type of a 600+ yr outdated geoglyph referred to as the Topock Maze (aka Mystic Maze).
I hope you discovered this highway journey information to Lake Havasu Metropolis, Arizona useful. When you have any questions in any respect, please depart a remark under.