From the grand Duomo di Milano cathedral to the extra off-the-beaten-track sights of the Italian lakes, right here’s a information to among the metropolis’s finest issues to do, must-see landmarks, and enchanting surrounding areas.
It’s straightforward to get intimidated whereas attempting to plan a trip to Italy since there are such a lot of superb locations to see and it’s important to decide which of them to go to.
Because of this, it’s a frequent subject of debate on quite a lot of journey blogs and web sites, with many individuals questioning whether or not they need to even trouble going to Milan. And given the various unbelievable choices out there, Milan is often disregarded since it’s only thought-about a gateway to different areas, a stopover on the path to someplace else, or a metropolis that doesn’t actually fall among the many least expensive locations to go to in Italy.
However the metropolis is extra deserving than that; it’s a fascinating and infrequently misunderstood vacation spot (even by Italians!).
Milan could be very wealthy in cultural choices, one thing that’s means too straightforward to overlook contemplating the present format of town. Actually, after WWII, all of the factories that had been broken by the bombings had been rebuilt, and plenty of manufacturing facility employees moved right here. Neighborhoods had been constructed rapidly, typically on the expense of inexperienced area and with a deal with operate fairly than aesthetics.
Due to this, town could appear drab and uninviting at first look; until you recognize the place to look, you don’t get the identical awe-inspiring vistas supplied by the likes of Rome and Venice, the charming villages of Tuscany, Liguria, and Sicily, or the pristine wilderness areas of Sardinia and Calabria.
However right here is the factor: Milan is gorgeous in a distinct and fewer apparent means.
Milan’s magnificence is within the interiors of its buildings, the courtyards and gardens that encompass them, and the facades of the constructions that make up town. But in addition within the opulence of town’s inns, bars, and eating places. Then, after all, there’s trend, or how folks costume.
Milan is beautiful in a fashion that’s much less cliche and fewer touristic.
On this mini-guide, we’ll take you on a tour of Milan’s cobblestone streets, winding canals, and plenty of artworks. We’ll additionally share insider suggestions, issues to do, and locations you possibly can’t miss on this busy metropolis—and people it is best to keep away from as an alternative.
Issues you possibly can’t miss in Milan
The Duomo space: the Cathedral and the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery
The Duomo di Milano, or Milan Cathedral, is a must-see when you’re visiting Milan. It’s the biggest cathedral in Italy and one of many largest on the planet. The development of this Gothic-style church began in 1386, and it took practically six centuries to finish, with the ultimate particulars added in 1965.
The outside of the Duomo is thought for being elaborate and ornate. There are greater than 3,400 statues and 135 spires on the skin. It’s adorned with intricate marble carvings and sculptures, together with the well-known copper and gold “Madonnina” statue on the high of the tallest spire.
Inside, the cathedral is simply as spectacular, with an enormous and hovering inside that may maintain as much as 40,000 folks. The principle nave has stained glass home windows and frescoes, and the cathedral additionally has quite a few essential artworks, just like the spectacular statue of Saint Bartholomew flayed.
One of many coolest issues in regards to the Duomo is its roof, which you may get to through a carry or stairs. From the roof, you may get nice views of town and see the intricate particulars of the cathedral’s structure up shut, with its carvings, statues of vegetation and flowers, and the well-known gargoyles.
The Duomo is a vital non secular constructing, however it’s also a well-liked vacationer vacation spot and a logo of Milan. It’s visited by thousands and thousands of individuals every year and is an enormous a part of town’s identification and heritage.
Wanting on the Duomo from the sq., in your left, you will note the Vittorio Emanuele II Gallery.
This elegant, glass-roofed constructing was constructed within the nineteenth century, and it’s identified for its high-end boutiques, cafes, and eating places. It’s a common vacation spot for each locals and vacationers.
The arcade was constructed by architect Giuseppe Mengoni and named after Vittorio Emanuele II, who was the primary king of a united Italy. The constructing is manufactured from iron and glass, and the inside is adorned with mosaics, marble, and frescoes.
Strolling previous the gallery, you can find your self in Piazza della Scala, the sq. in entrance of the namesake opera home.
La Scala is likely one of the world’s most prestigious and well-known opera homes. It’s identified for its lovely inside and performances.
The opera home was constructed within the 18th century. A few of the finest musicians on the planet, like Verdi, Pavarotti, and Maria Callas, have carried out there.
The inside of La Scala is equally spectacular, with a grand, ornate auditorium that may seat over 2,000 folks. The theater is adorned with frescoes, marble, and gold leaf and options quite a few essential artworks.
Collectively, the Duomo, the Vittorio Emanuele II gallery, and La Scala are Milan’s most well-known and iconic landmarks and must-sees for anybody visiting town.
The Sforza Fort and its park, the Final Supper
The Sforza Fort is situated a number of blocks away from the Duomo. It was initially constructed as a fortress by Duke Francesco Sforza, however through the years it has been used as a residence for the ruling household, a navy barracks, and a jail. As we speak, the fortress is a significant vacationer attraction and homes quite a few museums and artwork collections.
The fortress is thought for its imposing dimension and spectacular structure. It’s surrounded by a moat and has huge partitions and towers that had been designed to guard town from invaders. The inside of the fortress is magnificent, with quite a few grand, ornate rooms and halls that had been utilized by the ruling household.
The fortress’s outdoors courtyards are all the time free, however admission to the within of the fortress and the artwork assortment it holds requires a charge.
Parco Sempione, a big and exquisite park situated behind the fortress, is a well-liked place for locals and guests alike to spend time year-round because of Milan’s nice local weather.
This lush inexperienced paradise is at its most lovely within the spring when you possibly can see turtles swimming within the pond on the park’s coronary heart from the park’s charming bridge, which is adorned with sculptures of mermaids.
Within the summertime, the gorgeous grassy areas with views of the fortress and the historic gate of Milan often called the “Arco della Tempo” are common sunbathing spots for locals and vacationers alike. The beautiful foliage of autumn and winter can be a sight to not miss.
Brera and the Trend District
Nestled within the heart of town, only a stone’s throw from the Sforzesco Fort, Brera is the following must-visit vacation spot in Milan.
This neighborhood is thought for its slender streets, cobbled squares, and colourful buildings. Regardless of Milan’s modernity, Brera is considered one of many metropolis’s most authentically Italian neighborhoods.
On the coronary heart of the district, you’ll discover the Pinacoteca di Brera Artwork Gallery, which is house to among the world’s most treasured work. However the neighborhood is rather more than only a museum—it’s a hub of cultural and creative exercise, with galleries, theaters, and live performance halls dotted all through the world.
And when the solar goes down, Brera comes alive with a vibrant nightlife scene, from stylish bars and golf equipment to upscale eating places and bistrots to genuine taverne and osterie.
Not removed from Brera is the Quadrilatero della Moda, the Trend District of Milan.
This can be a prestigious space of Milan identified for its high-end trend and luxurious items.
The district is house to virtually all the world’s most well-known designer boutiques, corresponding to Prada, Gucci, Valentino, Chanel, and extra.
The elegant streets are lined with outlets, and the world is a well-liked vacation spot for trend lovers from around the globe.
Whether or not you’re out there for a brand new luxurious merchandise or simply need to admire the trendy designs and the subtle structure, a go to to the Quadrilatero della Moda is a should throughout your journey to Milan.
Santa Maria delle Grazie is a well-known church in Milan, finest identified for housing Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece, The Final Supper.
The church itself is a fantastic Renaissance constructing with a surprising brick façade, and the inside is full of art work and frescoes. The Final Supper is situated on one of many partitions of the church’s refectory and is taken into account one of many biggest artworks on the planet.
Regardless of its age, the portray continues to be in remarkably good situation, and guests can see it up shut as a part of a guided tour. If you happen to’re in Milan, a go to to the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Final Supper is a should.
Attributable to their excessive demand, tickets promote out shortly after they go on sale, so plan months forward.
A 15-minute stroll from right here will take you to the Navigli district. This can be a cool and classy neighborhood identified for its full of life nightlife.
The realm is called after the Navigli, a collection of canals that had been as soon as used for transportation and commerce and are actually a well-liked spot, particularly on weekends.
The slender streets are full of the trendiest bars, golf equipment, and eating places of Milan, making it the right place to seize a drink, take heed to reside music and drink a spritz to expertise the true spirit of Milan like an area.
And what you possibly can skip in Milan as an alternative
If you happen to’re planning a visit to Milan, you’ll need to take advantage of your time within the metropolis.
However with a lot to see and do, it may be overwhelming to determine the place to begin. That’s why we’ve put collectively this information to the issues it is best to skip in Milan—so you possibly can keep away from the vacationer traps and deal with the actually must-see sights.
And when you’re in search of extra insider suggestions and recommendation in regards to the metropolis, take a look at nosbatti.com, a Milan metropolis information written by locals. This web site presents a wealth of helpful data and proposals from individuals who know town effectively and might supply distinctive insights and recommendation.
Touristy eating places downtown
It may be tempting to decide on essentially the most simply accessible eating places—these which are situated in superb central areas with nice views and make consuming out simpler.
You realize, those with the garish indicators and Italian flags, pictures on the menu, and big “specials” boards.
With only a few exceptions, it’s actually unusual for this type of place to offer essentially the most genuine and pleasurable Italian expertise.
More often than not, the meals at these eating places is watered down and lacks the wealthy flavors that make Italian meals so common. Furthermore, they typically don’t have a very “Italian” vibe.
Plus, costs are marked up in comparison with different locations, and the service could also be lackluster. All in all, it’s undoubtedly finest to go elsewhere for an actual Italian eating expertise.
As an alternative, attempt to discover a native trattoria or ristorante, the place the ambiance is extra genuine and the meals is true to the Italian culinary custom. Costs might be extra affordable, and the ambiance might be rather more genuine.
You don’t even have to go away downtown to seek out any such meals. The charming aspect alleys are stuffed with hidden gems, and locals don’t often hesitate to provide you a tip on the place to eat.
Let’s be clear: aperitivo (Italian for “completely happy hour”) is an absolute must-do whereas in Milan.
As the top of the workday approaches, in addition to on weekends, many individuals need to unwind with mates and colleagues throughout aperitivo hour, which usually takes place between 7 and 9 p.m.
Drinks are accompanied with a lightweight snack or a number of small plates of meals, corresponding to olives, cheese, cured meats, focaccia, or pizza. Throughout aperitivo, the preferred cocktail is an Aperol spritz, which consists of Aperol, prosecco, and soda water.
Earlier than the pandemic, it was rather more frequent to serve the aperitivo within the type of an enormous buffet with many alternative choices, typically at a low value that was tempting.
Sadly, this additionally implies that the meal is of low high quality, the place might be crowded, and it’ll not depart a constructive impression nor be enjoyable!
Some locations nonetheless serve aperitivo this fashion, but it surely’s finest to keep away from them.
As an alternative, select a high-quality restaurant or bar the place you’ll have a spread of small plates served to you immediately at your desk. In spite of everything, aperitivo is supposed to be somewhat snack loved earlier than a drink, not a substitute for dinner. High quality over amount!
Hop on – hop off excursions
If you’re pressed for time and need to take advantage of your go to to Milan, hop-on, hop-off vacationer buses seem to be an excellent thought. These double-decker buses can help you get round rapidly, seeing the primary sights in a brief period of time.
Whereas this may be true for very massive cities like Rome or Paris, in a spot like Milan, the place there are fewer distances to cowl, it’s probably not obligatory.
Actually, by taking one in every of these excursions, you miss out on loads of town’s hidden treasures as a result of the tour merely doesn’t go off the overwhelmed observe.
If you’re unable to or don’t take pleasure in strolling, you possibly can nonetheless benefit from the metropolis’s highlights by making the most of the general public transportation system, which is extraordinarily environment friendly and covers each nook of Milano virtually 24 hours per day—for reasonable.
A weekend in Milan: a strolling information
Milan is the right vacation spot for a weekend getaway.
To take advantage of your time in Milan, why not take a strolling tour to expertise all the most effective components of this unbelievable metropolis? Right here’s a information to planning your excellent weekend in Milan.
Begin your first day with breakfast at one in every of Brera’s charming historic cafes, after which head to the Pinacoteca di Brera artwork gallery to see the newest exhibitions. After absorbing some tradition, seize lunch at one in every of Brera’s conventional eating places.
Within the afternoon, make your strategy to the Quadrilatero della Moda, Milan’s well-known trend district. Ranging from Through Montenapoleone, you possibly can store at high-end boutiques, take pleasure in a espresso at one of many elegant boutique cafes, or just admire the gorgeous structure.
Because the day involves an finish, make your strategy to Piazza del Duomo, house to town’s iconic cathedral.
Admire the gorgeous façade, and if the climate is good, think about a go to to the rooftop for gorgeous 360° views of town (however keep in mind to e-book your tickets prematurely).
End the day with an aperitivo at one of many well-known rooftop bars overlooking the sq., however solely after a go to to the regal Vittorio Emanuele II gallery, which is much more majestic when lit up at evening.
On the second day of your journey to Milan, you’ll start by strolling from the Duomo as much as the fortress by way of the gorgeous through Mercanti and through Dante.
Take a second to admire the gorgeous medieval sq. that was the middle of town (Piazza dei Mercanti) and the place the place the market occurred.
On the finish of Through Dante, you can find your self in Piazza Castello. You possibly can wander by way of the courtyards of the fortress totally free or purchase a ticket to go to the within of the fortress and the artwork galleries it hosts.
If the day is good, take a stroll by way of Parco Sempione or take a break and benefit from the lovely nature and the climate.
It’s time to go away the park and head south, in the direction of the Magenta district, which is likely one of the richest residential areas of Milan and is filled with beautiful Liberty-style buildings.
On this neighborhood, you’ll discover many eating places the place you possibly can take pleasure in some genuine Italian meals.
Within the afternoon, you possibly can go to the Final Supper, however ensure you have deliberate this forward of time, as talked about earlier than.
Alternatively, when you haven’t been capable of e-book in time, a go to to the church and monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie is price your whereas.
When you’re within the space, don’t overlook to take a look at the “Vigna di Leonardo,” a winery the Duke of Milan gave to Leonardo da Vinci in 1498 whereas he was engaged on the portray of the final supper.
Within the night, take a brief and pleasurable stroll to the Navigli, the place you’ll discover lots of of bars and eating places which are cool and classy. You’re certain to have a good time spending your second night there.
Greatest day and weekend journeys from Milan
As soon as you’re achieved with town highlights and vacationer sights, and you probably have extra time to spend there, it’s time to plan some day or weekend journeys from Milan. Mountaineering lovers and urbanites will certainly take pleasure in the next locations in Milan’s surrounding areas.
10 Nice mountain climbing spots close to Milan
Alternatively, the proximity to the Alps and Dolomites makes Milan an ideal launching pad for mountain climbing. Just a few fascinating mountain climbing spots simply accessible from Milan are:
- Lake Como: This gorgeous glacier-created lake is likely one of the most lovely locations to go mountain climbing within the space. Take the practice to Como San Giovanni and begin tackling one in every of its many trails.
- Val d’Intelvi: Take a brief practice journey to Tresivio and discover the luxurious Val d’Intelvi Valley. This valley’s terrain is good for leisurely strolls, extra demanding hikes, and even a number of mountain biking trails.
- Valtellina Valley: This valley is situated much more north and offers quite a few mountain climbing trails of various issue. From the vineyards within the Valtellina Valley to the superb views of the Alps, this space is a favourite amongst Milanese hikers, skiers, and rock climbers.
- Val di Mello: Within the Stelvio Nationwide Park, Val di Mello is one other excellent place to discover and go mountain climbing. Take the practice to Tirano after which hike as much as this magical spot. Alongside the way in which, there are many beautiful views and streams to take pleasure in.
- Montevecchia: Close to Milan, that is a simple day journey from town. Take the practice to Barzanò and begin on the base of the mountain.
- Lakes Maggiore and Garda: These two Italian lakes will not be as near Milan as Lake Como, however they’re undoubtedly well worth the longer journey. Each lakes supply loads of lovely surroundings and difficult hikes.
- Grignetta: The Grignetta is a mountain situated proper beside Milan. Take the practice to Covale and begin your hike.
- Swiss Alps: The quick practice to Switzerland can take you to Interlaken in 3 hours. As soon as there, spend the day exploring the majestic Swiss Alps.
- Fellaria glacier: An awesome spot for difficult day hikes and in a single day tenting climate allowing. You may get there by taking a practice to Valtournenche, then a cable automotive as much as the glacier.
- Valle d’Aosta: Essentially the most mountainous area in Italy presents among the finest mountain climbing within the nation and is only a few hours’ drive from Milan. Add it to your itinerary!
15 Superior Cities and Cities a brief journey away from Milan
There are quite a few extremely beautiful cities and cities that may be simply reached in not more than two or three hours, as a day or weekend journey from Milan. Listed here are some Milan day journey locations it is best to think about:
- Bellagio: Located within the idyllic Como lake, Bellagio is only a low cost one-hour practice journey away from Milan and presents gorgeous landscapes and actions corresponding to kayaking and boat rides on the lake. For lots of of years, celebrities and aristocrats have flocked to this Italian lake scape. From the breathtaking surroundings to the fascinating cities and historic websites alongside the lake’s shores, you received’t discover a higher day journey from Milan.
- Parma: The charming metropolis of Parma is an hour and a half drive from Milan and is house to the famend Parma ham and cheese together with among the finest museums and church buildings within the area.
- Bergamo: Beautiful cobblestone streets, palazzos, and church buildings await 50 km away from Milan.
- Verona: A two-hour drive from Milan, the pleasant metropolis of Verona presents among the best-preserved Roman ruins and the imposing Enviornment of Verona.
- Sirmione: This charming village is located on the tip of the Sirmio peninsular and is only a one-hour drive from Milan. Right here you can find the ruins of a medieval fortress and sizzling springs from Roman baths.
- Lake Garda: What if we informed you that the biggest lake in Italy is only a 1.5-hour drive from Milan? Garda lake is a great spot for leisurely strolls and boat rides. Households with youngsters and amusement park lovers can even put Gardaland, some of the common theme parks in Italy situated within the lake Garda area, on their itinerary.
- Genoa: This vibrant port metropolis will be reached in simply two hours by practice from Milan and is house to a full of life outdated city with winding streets lined with bars and eating places.
- Turin: Identified for its spectacular palazzos, piazzas, and gardens, this metropolis is only a one-and-a-half-hour drive away from Milan.
- Brescia: An hour and a half drive from Milan, Brescia is a historic city house to some great museums and artwork galleries.
- Liguria: Residence to the gorgeous Italian Riviera and the charming cities of Portofino and Sanremo, this coastal area will be reached in simply two hours by automotive from Milan.
- Venice: The enduring metropolis of Venice is only a two-hour drive from Milan and, as absolutely you recognize, is a must-visit vacation spot in Italy.
- Chianti: Well-known for its wine and rolling hills dotted with vineyards and olive groves, you may get to Chianti from Milan in 90 minutes.
- Stresa: Situated on the picturesque shores of Lake Maggiore, Stresa presents gorgeous views, nice buying, and fascinating historic websites. The Borromean Islands are simply offshore and are additionally a must-see vacation spot.
- Bologna: This vibrant college metropolis is only a one-hour practice journey away from Milan and presents a pleasant mixture of Renaissance-era structure and the bustling ambiance of a contemporary metropolis.
- Cinque Terre: This charming coastal space is three hours away from Milan and is house to some gorgeous mountain climbing trails together with a string of picturesque villages.
nosbatti.com is a metropolis information to Milan made by locals. It offers insider suggestions and recommendation on the most effective spots to eat, drink, and discover; whether or not you’re planning a visit, a transfer, or simply need to study extra about Milan, it’ll show you how to keep away from the everyday vacationer traps and expertise town like an area.
Preserve shopping Italy articles: