The Cascadia is Brooks’ signature path working shoe. A well-cushioned, impartial help shoe with dependable traction, I’ve hiked in each model of the Cascadia for the reason that third version was launched in 2008. Over time Brooks has made lots of design tweaks to their much-loved path stalwart – some good, others not a lot. Nonetheless, I’m joyful to report that after logging greater than 1,200 mi (1,931 km) in three separate pairs of the Cascadia 14, I believe that this present incarnation is the most effective to hit the market for the reason that 9’s got here out in 2014.
At a Look
Weight: 10.7 oz (303 g) – Males’s Dimension 9 // 11.9 oz (338 g) – Males’s Dimension 12
Heal to Toe Drop: 8 mm
Stack Peak (heel & forefoot): 26mm – 18 mm
Match: True to dimension. Customary dimension (D) is greatest for medium-volume toes. Additionally accessible in Broad (2E).
I’ve been carrying the Brooks Cascadia 14 since September final 12 months. I wore them within the Austrian and Slovenian Alps final fall, and have used them extensively on the rugged trails of Mexico’s Sierra Madre in subsequent months.
Cascadia 14 Vs Cascadia 13
- Weight – The Cascadia 14’s are considerably lighter than earlier fashions, tipping the scales at 10.7 oz / 303 grams (Males’s dimension 9), in comparison with the 13’s which are available in at 11.9 oz / 337 grams.
- Heel Drop: Decreased from 10 mm to 8mm.
- Outsole – The brand new “TrailTrack Rubber” outsole with its multi-directional lugs are extra sturdy (see under) and grippier on slippery terrain than current editions of the Cascadia.
- Higher – The built-in saddle system helps lock down the midfoot space and offers the shoe a snugger (however nonetheless not restrictive) really feel than earlier fashions.
- Toebox – Roomiest toebox for the reason that Cascadia 9’s. Effectively sized for medium-volume toes.
- The Higher makes use of Brooks’ Ingredient mesh which is breathable, stretchy, comfy, and I’ve skilled no stress factors or related tearing within the materials.
- The inner saddle system offers the higher a safe match; I’ve had no points with my foot sliding round when negotiating rugged terrain (Observe: It helps that Dimension 12 matches me like a glove).
- The redesigned Cordura mudguard helps preserve out particles and dirt to a sure extent, although as with every mesh higher, dust will finally get by way of. To mitigate any rubbing/blister points, I’ll typically mix my path runners with Soiled Woman Gaiters (Observe: The latest two variations of the Cascadia have included gaiter traps on the heel).
- Total I’ve discovered the 14’s mixture of Ingredient mesh and the Cordura mudguard strikes a good stability between breathability, maintaining out path dreck, and nonetheless permitting for drainage when climbing in moist circumstances. In addition they dry comparatively shortly after a drenching.
- The Tongue Pocket is beneficial for maintaining the laces out of hurt’s manner when climbing by way of overgrown terrain.
- As with each iteration of the Cascadia, the 14 has a stable heel counter that gives wonderful rear-foot stability whereas serving to to anchor the foot to the midsole. Talking of which………
Not like the higher and outsole, the midsole of the Cascadia 14 has remained principally the identical as its predecessor:
- The BioMoGo DNA midsole compound gives mushy however responsive cushioning all through the shoe’s platform. In regard to safety, the 14 additionally has a built-in rock plate within the forefoot which is especially helpful if lots of your climbing is finished in rugged terrain. Total I’d give the midsole a “Goldilocks thumbs-up” – not so soft you could’t get a really feel for the terrain, however not so agency that you simply really feel each sharp or exhausting object with which you are available in contact.
- The four-point Pivot Submit system helps present stability, serving to to maintain your foot stage from touchdown to push-off. The pivot factors (two on both sides of the shoe) are barely smaller than the 13’s, however I haven’t seen the journey of the shoe being any much less safe.
- I’ve discovered the brand new TrailTrack Rubber outsole with its multi-directional lugs to be extra sturdy (see under) and grippier than current editions of the Cascadia.
- The lugs are (pretty) deep, quite a few, and distributed throughout your entire sole for optimum traction. They work effectively on a number of surfaces together with rock, sand, mud, roots, hardpack, and snow.
Every pair of Cascadia 14’s has lasted me at the very least 400 miles (644 km) earlier than displaying vital indicators of damage on the outsole and/or lack of cushioning and help. By the point I’ve put 500 to 600 miles (805 km-966 km) on them they’re able to be retired.
The Cascadia 14 is a impartial path shoe that I take into account to be a wonderful all-rounder. It’s the footwear equal of an precisely rated 20°F sleeping bag (or quilt) for thru-hikers, or a jack-of-all-trades inner body backpack such because the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Southwest 2400. And by that I imply it’s versatile – the Cascadia 14 not solely gives mixed-surface traction and stability out within the woods but in addition provides adequate help and cushioning for the occasional cross-over on to the roads.
“Will the Cascadia 14 work for me?”
Of all of the gear in a backpacker’s equipment, arguably probably the most individual-centric merchandise is footwear. Elements similar to foot kind, damage historical past, terrain, and pack and physique weight all (ought to) take priority over how a lot the shoe weighs, what it seems like, and/or what firm produces it when deciding on what shoe is best for you.
For those who’ve received medium-volume toes (or barely wider should you go together with the 2E**) and are in search of a impartial path shoe that’s comfy, versatile, and sturdy, then there’s a pretty good likelihood that you could be discover the Cascadia 14’s to be appropriate. Nonetheless – and it is a massive caveat – the one manner you’ll know for sure is to offer them a attempt in individual.
**(Observe: I haven’t personally used the Broad 2E model of the Cascadia 14, however from the studies I’ve learn they’re barely wider than the usual sized fashions, however nonetheless not as huge as Altra path sneakers).
Brooks went again to the drafting board with the Cascadia 14. The consequence? I believe they hit it out of the park with the design adjustments. The 14 feels lighter, extra versatile, and has superior traction when in comparison with its current predecessors. All of which has been completed whereas nonetheless retaining the steadiness and help for which the Cascadia path shoe has at all times been recognized.
Disclosure: This submit incorporates affiliate hyperlinks, which suggests ‘The Mountain climbing Life’ receives a small fee if you buy an merchandise after clicking on one of many hyperlinks. This comes at no extra value to the reader and helps to help the web site in its persevering with aim to create high quality content material for backpackers and hikers.